Friday, April 4, 2014

Guest Speaker: Mark Murdock aka "Murdock"

It’s official, Mark Murdock (@ohexcuseme) has been my favorite guest speaker in #Freberg14 thus far. His inspiring outlook on life, work, and his enthusiasm for what he does was the best start to my sleepy morning! Mark Murdock is the Community and Content Manager for Bandy Carroll Hellige (BCH), a ground breaking company based in Louisville and Indy that does PR, Advertising, Digital & Interactive, Social, Qualitative Research, among other things. With over 25 clients, some of which include Four Roses Bourbon, Kentucky Lottery, Louisville Zoo and McDonalds (select areas); it is safe to say they are pretty good at what they do.

Murdock began with a short introduction into his life and told us that if we take anything at all away from the lecture, it should be that in life we need to remember to be grateful, enthusiastic, passionate and in love with what we do above all else. Murdock really caught my attention when he referenced one of his friends, CEO of Buddy Media, Michael Lazerow, who wrote, “Why Weirdos Outperform Normals”.( http://blogs.salesforce.com/company/2013/03/why-weirdos-outperform-normals.html ) Being an outsider and “weirdo” all my life, I found this article entirely relatable. It gave me hope that there are employers out there that don’t just look at the words on your resume when considering giving you a job, but take into account your personality, talent, and celebrate your being different. At the end of the lecture, Murdock mentioned that he had an internship opportunity available, he said “shoot me an email, don’t bother sending me your resume, the things you did in the past are not as important as things you're going to do in the future.” I think that people should take this into consideration in all aspects of their lives, try not to regret things, make the now count and your future will be what you make it! As if Murdock hadn’t captured my full attention at this point, his referring to the “9 to 5’ers” as “soul-sucking jerks” made my heart smile.

That all being said, um… hire me?


I appreciate Murdock taking the time to come visit our class!

No comments:

Post a Comment