Saturday, April 5, 2014

College: Learn, Love, Live, & of course, Laugh

So all week I have been debating what to write about for my last Comm460 blog ever :( Originally I was going to follow my typical path of a movie review and review the film, Noah, which I saw earlier this week. But as the days went by I kept putting it off and realized that Noah was not a very memorable film (despite it staring one of my favorite actors, Emma Watson.) So in hopes of not boring those who read these posts I decided Noah would not be my last post. After reading one of my classmates posts where she wrote a letter to incoming college students and provided advice for do’s & don’ts of your college career, it inspired me to reflect on my own college career. Which is suiting since I will be finally earning my degree with a major in Communications and minor in Sociology this August; I say “finally” lightly however, I have been wishing for this day to come for so long and now that it is finally here, I am terrified, in the best way.

Ahh, where do I begin? College has been a whirlwind for me and I can easily admit that my college career has been quite different from all of my friends. Before I started my freshman year at UK, a girl messaged me saying that she was excited to meet me and that she was going to be living down the hall from me in the dorm. I am beyond thankful for this conversation, which shaped the entire path of my college years. This person, Nicole, became one of my very best friends and to this day I can call on her whenever I need her and I know she will be there. I cannot imagine what my life would be today if I hadn’t met her.  Freshman year was insane for me, my entire lifestyle took a 180 in just a few short months and before I knew it I was 30 pounds lighter and on my first college spring break in Fort Lauderdale, what an experience! Second semester came along and I was still having the time of my life with my new group of friends that I had met through Nicole. I was becoming entrenched in a social lifestyle that was like nothing I had ever known before, and it started to take a toll on me, and my weight.

Sophomore year creeped in quickly after what can only be described as the best summer of my life so far. Nicole spent her first semester in Barcelona, leaving my friends Karli and Megan and myself to peruse the town with our usual shenanigans. This fall semester I can honestly say I drank more and partied more than I ever have. Everything changed second semester however and I started to become more of an introvert after I dislocated my knee and gradually began to gain more and more weight. This spring semester is when I took a lot of time to figure out who I was, or try to, and discover what I wanted out of life. I wanted a chance to start over new and change my lifestyle around, so I transferred to the University of Louisville the following year, where I have bee for my junior and senior years! I have to admit; I would have never imagined that two cities, so close to each other geographically, could be so different. I digged the laid-back vibe of Louisville and the openness and accepting nature that allowed me to thrive and become who I wanted to be. My junior year was still a rough year for me, much life sophomore year, but I was finally starting to be happy again, and enjoying life and the city was a major contributor to that. But most of all my roommates have become my rock and I love them dearly! Senior year is the year I can say I have finally become the person I want to be, and that I am proud to be. Of course, life is a work in progress and we will always be changing, learning and hopefully thriving; but right now, for the first time in a long time, I am happy to be me, and it’s the best feeling.


I’m a promoter of self-improvement and always trying to be the best you that you can possibly be. I am a firm believer in becoming spiritually engaged with the earth, and loving animals and people, and helping others whenever possible, in any way at all. So my advice for those entering into college, or for anyone at all is; never stray too far from yourself, don’t be afraid of change, and learn to love yourself for all that you are, because you are amazing, unique, but most of all, you are you!


I'll end with some food for thought, a few of my favorite quotes! 





Have a beautiful, spiritual & enlightened day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment