Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Internet History - Comm303


As a child of the 90’s I have been around for a fairly large portion of the ever-evolving World Wide Web. The first memory I have with a computer was at my childhood home, I can’t recall the exact year but I remember I was around 7 or 8 years old. My sister and I originally only used our single home computer to play “computer games” like Barbie makeover or educational learning games. Playing Barbie sports and makeover games particularly stands out in my mind, this was my sister’s and my favorite past time other than playing outside with our friends (which is something children now know little about).  My sister and I were constantly getting into trouble by our Dad when we would download new games to our computer, with the newness of everything my dad was constantly paranoid that we would break it. It wasn’t until a little later in my elementary school days that computer classes were entered into the curriculum. This is when I started to learn how to type, use Word, access a little bit of the internet and learn other aspects of early-age computer type programs. I’m thankful to have been born into the technological era that I was. 
My friends and I constantly discuss how we are happy to have experienced the early days of functioning the Internet and computer technologies because we are now fully functional and semi-advanced in this area. Children now a days however know nothing other than I-phones, I-pads, laptops, I-pods, and high-speed internet I believe this has done them somewhat of a disservice to their interpersonal social skills. Personally, the Internet is part of my daily life. As we speak I am experiencing an extremely slow connection and I am getting increasingly agitated. Internet speed in particular has become a major part of our lives and when it is slow we get angry, our “have-it-now” attitude comes full swing in times like this. However, personally, I feel the Internet has far more benefits than downfalls and I am lucky to have the ability to access it in so many places and on so many devices.

If you're a girl of the 90's you undoubtably recognize
this and are currently feeling overwhelmingly nostalgic. 




No comments:

Post a Comment