Friday, March 28, 2014

Social Media: COMM 303

Wow. I know that social media has become a commonplace for bullying, but the story about Daphne from Vanity Fair was appalling. No one should ever have to go through that experience, especially not an eighth-grade girl. I can truly not imagine knowing a person who was so disgusting and vile that they felt that they had the right to make someone want to kill themselves. The whole thing was completely mind-boggling and I am saddened to hear that people like that exist in this world. Of course, social media has created a multitude of positive opportunities, but with the good always comes the bad. Bullying, materialism, and a lack of genuine face-to-face communication are just a few of the negative aspects that come with social medias major influence on society.

For me, I have began to realize that social media is more of a part of my life than I thought it was. I am currently taking a social media class; which has forced me to get more involved through actively blogging and Tweeting things that are actually intelligent rather than just random chatter. I am not opposed to social media at all but I would like to decrease the time I spend using it unless it can actually benefit me or inspire others. Social media has created a major communication disconnect for people, and as we mentioned in class, many people feel justified to say terrible things to people that they wouldn’t say to their face because they are hidden behind a computer screen.  


The platforms I use most frequently are Instagram and Twitter. I do not feel that they enhance my relationships in anyway, but I do think they provide a wonderful outlet for expressing yourself. I use Twitter more so to check on breaking news as well as look at celebrity tweets. Social media, if done right could be a wonderfully positive way to enhance human communication, but unfortunately that is not the path we are currently on. I am hopeful for the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment