Thursday, March 27, 2014

Divergent: FILM REVIEW

Ahh, loved it! Divergent hit theaters this past Friday (March 21st) and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. As promised in my book review, I have to let you know just how awesome the movie was. For those who read the book, you can be at ease knowing the film was nearly spot on the book, with regards to a few small changes. Shailene Woodley was a perfect match for Tris and obviously we can’t complain about Theo James being Four, because, well he is absolutely beautiful; and together they make a stunning pair. For plot summary of this ingenious trilogy written by Veronica Roth see my book review a few posts down.

Anyway, back to the film. The set was exactly how I pictured it would be as I was reading the book. However, I pictured Tris’s best friend, Christina, to look differently. Christina was played by Zoe Kravitz (yes, Lenny Kravitz’s daughter) did an excellent job playing the spunky girl who transferred from Candor to the feared & hard-ass Dauntless fraction.  Another casting choice that shocked me was Miles Teller playing the massive dick, Peter. Maybe it’s a personal bias due to my raging crush on Teller, but I was picturing someone a little more beefed up with muscles. Teller also has my heart for his comedic genius and ability to portray genuine emotion (like he did as Sutter in The Spectacular Now 2013).  I was delighted to see that he defied my fear and was a great fit for the role of Peter.


However, the stars of the show Shailene and Theo definitely earned their place as the main characters Tris and Four. The sexual tension between the two that we get a feel for in the book comes through beautifully on screen. I have yet to read the next book in the trilogy but I hope for more of s relationship between them, can’t get enough. I will def be seeing Divergent in theaters again and HIGHLY recommend it to all, but for the best experience I strongly suggest reading the book first.



Which faction would you be in?
I would be DIVERGENT 

1 comment:

  1. Seemed like it could have done something special with its premise, but instead, played-out like a lame, tamer version of the Hunger Games. Nice review Madeleine.

    ReplyDelete