Wednesday, March 19, 2014

DIVERGENT: Book Review & Film Anticipation -Comm460

Okay, this week I’m straying from my usual movie review post to do a book review with extreme anticipation for the movie that comes out this Friday, Divergent. I am the slowest reader on Earth, and no that is not an exaggeration, but over spring break my mom told me that I had to read the book, and I was already really interested in the film since it stars Shailene Woodley, who I love, so I decided to give it a try and finished it in just two days! It is a must read! Author, Veronica Roth, does an outstanding job and I commend her creativity in this three part book series.

For those of you who are not familiar with Divergent, the book takes place in a futuristic Chicago and revolves around a society that functions by classifying people into different “factions” based on their personality. Divergent follows Tris (played by Woodley in the film) who was born into the Abnegation faction, which is for the selfless. At age sixteen you are required to take an “aptitude test” which tests which of the five factions is your best fit, however on “Choosing Day” you can decide to go with any of the five factions; Abnegation (selfless), Amity (peaceful), Dauntless (brave), Candor (honest), and Erudite (intelligence). Divergence, however, is a dangerous and secretive unofficial category that people who do not fall under a particular faction are named. Divergence is not widely known and not something that many people classify as.


On Choosing Day, Tris (Beatrice) decides to join Dauntless and the adventure ensues as her life in Dauntless training is examined and unraveled. Of course, with any good teenage novel, a romantic interest must be prevalent and Tris finds herself falling for one of the Dauntless leaders, Four, who is played by the exceedingly handsome, Theo James. The novel spirals through a series of dangerous and suspense building encounters. I am beyond pumped to see this novel come to life in its theatrical release this Friday, March 21st. I will do a follow up blog with my thoughts on the film, which I am sure will not disappoint, fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment