Thursday, January 23, 2014

Weekly Film Review : "Her" - Comm 460


The "Other" Post: Each week we are to create a blog dedicated to something we are passionate about, the choice for me is a no-brainer, film! I am completely & unapologetically obsessed with film; the art, the acting, the narrative, the cinematography, & well, all aspects of it! So each week I will do a "review", basically just me saying all the things I love about a particular film that I either have recently seen or one that is an oldie but a goodie. I will also most likely plead that you see it!

This week I have chosen the film that I saw with my mom over the MLK holiday. Her starring Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams can best be described as mesmerizing. The cast is superb, and the film deserves nothing less than a five star rating! I absolutely loved it and all of its quirkiness. The film takes place in futuristic LA, the not-so-distant future in my opinion, and centers around the life of recently separated Theodore (played by Phoenix). Theodore is an adorably shy, caring man who is lost after his wife Catherine (played by Rooney Mara) leaves him. Her plays on all emotions with its melancholy, funny, but uniquely hesitant nature. The future is represented as people having a disconnect from human contact and the ability to effectively communicate with actual people as a result of the convenience of technology (not so far off from the now). When a new "operating system" comes out that is more human-like than ever, people everywhere get one of their own. The operating system serves as a personal assistant, best friend, and lover, in some cases, to its owner. The OS has the ability to think, have feelings, and carry on deep conversation. Theodore becomes romantically attracted and involved with his OS  Samantha (voice by Scarlett Johansson) which creates a unique, heartwarming dynamic that makes you want to reach out and grab Theodore and make him your best friend. Amy Adams, who plays Theodore's friend Amy (oddly enough), deserves high praise for her ability to be so real and authentic in her role. On a side note, I find Amy Adams to be wildly talented and abundantly underrated. If you are in the mood for a touching love story with a hint of charming comedy, Her is a must see!






No comments:

Post a Comment